Translate

Monday 18 January 2016

Cooking in the Omnia Oven

A few people have asked me to write about, and show,  what I have cooked in my Omnia Oven. Unfortunately, I won't be doing much showing as H and I have usually consumed the product before I think about taking a photo.

My first creations were cakes. I based my cakes on my mothers old recipe (she calls it 2-4-6-8 cake*): 
3/4 cup of sugar creamed with 250g butter, add 2 eggs and 2 cups self raising flour and enough milk to make it look right (1 cup). I vary this recipe to get different flavours: Vanilla, Orange, Chocolate. 
Later, in Greece (where the olive oil was plentiful and delicious), I replaced the butter with 1/2 cup of olive oil, and the milk with orange juice, added some orange peel, and I had another yummy cake. Each cake took about 25mins to cook. 
(*2-4-6-8 because it's old fashioned: 2 eggs, 4oz butter, 6oz sugar, 8oz SR flour, 1 cup milk, dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt).

Omnia's suggestion of dusting the tin with breadcrumbs to prevent sticking works brilliantly well for basic baking (like above). But I struck trouble with my first 'upside down pineapple cake' - the pineapple stuck in the pan. I achieved desirable results on my second attempt by lining the bottom of the pan (just the ring) with baking paper. Pineapple upside-down cake is a new experience for the Belgian and he was soon asking for more. I use the basic 2-4-6-8 recipe, but first put pineapple pieces (cut rings) in the pan.

Pineapple upside-down cake baked in Omnia stove top oven.
Roasting cuts of meat and vegetables has also worked really well. My first roast was lamb. I actually bought lamb chops and put vegetables in the pan first, chops on top and let it roast that way. My result was delicious, although the Omnia rack (now available) will be a useful addition to let fats drain off.
We also bought a whole chicken, dissected it into pieces and cooked the chicken pieces in the Omnia oven. I wanted the fat to drain off, but didn't yet have the rack so I put some unwanted broccoli stalks in the bottom of the pan and threw them out later. In Australia I should have a rack... but I can say that the Omnia is great without it, maybe better with.

In the future I plan to make pasta bakes, meatloaf, vegetable gratins, and more. But now my Omnia oven is packed to be part of the next motorhome, in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment