Translate

Sunday 18 June 2017

As far North as we can go!

Now we are North of Cairns and we aim to travel as far North as we can. We hope that will be at least Bamaga. Many people who know the route have said we'll be fine, some even say we'll be fine to get to Cape York. Some say we shouldn't do any of it, that you need a 4wd. 

The whole thing has me quite nervous and it's quite difficult to get information about doing it without a 4wd. If I could find something that said "you can go as far as ___  without 4wd /with high clearance /with low gearing, but beyond that you'll need ..." I'd feel I was getting better assessments of the roads. 

The people who've said we will be fine have been locals and country folk, so I do value their advice. 

So, let's see how far we get!

Cape York is the northernmost tip of the Australian mainland. It's about 1000km from Cairns, 2700km from Brisbane, or 3400kms from Sydney.  It's remote, with about 30,000 people living in an area of approximately 200,000 square kilometres. It's mostly undeveloped and not easy travelling. 

We'll see......!

Dirt roads don't scare me, and I'm expecting a lot of corrugations but the Bloomfield track is known to be rather steep in parts.  

Dirt roads don't scare me, and I'm expecting a lot of corrugations but the Bloomfield track is known to be rather steep in parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment